General Manager – TheatreOne
$38,000 a year - Part-time, Permanent
For more than 35 years, Theatre One has been entertaining and challenging audiences in Nanaimo and Mid-Vancouver Island with high quality professional performances of contemporary theatre and the best of alternative film. For the past 8 years, TheatreOne has operated under the artistic direction of David Mann.
While it has been a challenging couple of seasons with COVID-19, we are excited to get back to our innovative programming and to giving the community the performances they are hungry for. Our core programming includes:
- MainStage: Core annual presentations and productions
- Just Kidding for Kids!: Our children’s program
- Emerging Voices: Events supporting playwrights and new plays-in-development
- Fringe Flicks: An alternative film series that brings world class festival films to the Mid-Island.
TheatreOne is looking to hire a general manager to spearhead its operations, working closely with the Artistic Director and others on the team. As our General Manager you will be the hub and face of the organization day-to-day. The position will average 30 hours/week, with three weeks holidays and flexibility in work arrangements. The salary is $38,000 per annum with $2,000 health and wellness account.
COVID and reduced programming has given us the opportunity to reprioritize and optimize how TheatreOne gets its work done. In addition to the General Manager, we will be hiring a part-time position reporting to the General Manager and putting in place additional support as appropriate.
Are you someone with experience in not-for-profit administration, a diverse skill set, a commitment to teamwork and the strong interpersonal skills needed to work with a diverse set of volunteers and theatre professionals, including an active and engaged Board? If yes, this position may be for you.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
Working with and through others,
- Leadership, management and supervision of staff and volunteers
- Planning, including operational plans, to achieve strategic goals
- Revenue generation
- Financial management
- Marketing and community relations
- Support to, and collaboration with, the Board of Directors in defining organizational priorities and accountability for successful execution
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Working with an engaged Board
- Financial management skills
- Organizational and administrative skills
- Verbal and written communications skills
- Experience with fundraising
- Management experience, preferably with a not-for profit organization– (experience in the administration of a performing arts organization is an asset)
- Proficiency with key computer applications and web technology, e.g. Word, Excel, social media (Facebook, Instagram) and miscellaneous digital technologies
- A valid drivers’ license and access to a vehicle when required.
You have a demonstrated and successful history with:
- Collaboration and teamwork
- Building and maintaining constructive relationships with others
- Setting priorities and thriving in a complex, multi-faceted environment
- Attention to detail;
- Energy, commitment and a focus on results
Please note that to qualify for this position you will need to live in Nanaimo or the immediate area.
Part-time hours: 30 per week
Application deadline: 2021-09-30
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
Salary: $38,000.00 per year
Benefits (up to $2,000 health and wellness account)
- Dental care
- Vision care
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- On-site parking
- Paid time off